Scary Movies 101

I am currently home alone, late at night, with weird noises everywhere, so I thought to myself, 'Hey, what a perfect time to write a blog about scary movies!' Genius, right?
So anyways, fact number one about me: I LOVE SCARY MOVIES. I suppose now would be a good time to state that in my eyes, scary movies are not stupid ones like Saw,  which just have limbs flying everywhere and make me feel queasy rather than scared. (Although, seriously, if you're going to show me blood and guts, please at least make it believable. That was so porridge and tomato sauce). I mean suspenseful, interesting, terryfying and bloodcurdling* films. I have to be pedantic about this, as they are GORE, not SCARY. Big difference. I mean, four of the letters are different. Gosh.
Okay, time for Miss Moi's list of scary movies (in no particular order, just so they don't feel jealous of eachother)
1. Ju-On - Also know as The Grudge. Seriously, I'm getting the heeby-jeebys just thinking about it. That kid... that face paint... one hell of a night...
Just a note, I must stress that you watch the JAPANESE version of this film. I haven't actually seen the American, but seriously, nothing can be scarier than the Japanese one, so there's no way it can be as good. Oh, and a little warning, I wasn't able to have a shower for two years after watching it. And I watched it a year ago.
2. The Ring, 1 & 2 - I've seen the Japanese and American versions, and they are really really different, but I think I'd have to say I prefer the American, only because it's a little easier to follow. The scariness really revolves around the storyline, and I don't think that's done very well in the Japanese version. And unlike other movies (i.e. The Grudge) the second is as good as the first. Look at me, talking all fancy like!
3. The Village - Creepiness to the extreme. Not as shock factor as the others, but tots good anyways. A bit disturbing as well...
4. The Hours - Very, very, very scary. (As you can see, I'm running out of ways to say this). A good starting one for the night. I actually like Nicole Kidman in this, maybe because she doesn't look as much like an ironing board. That's right, I went there.
5. And last, but not least, Slappy. The original scary movie, the first one I ever watched, as an innocent 6 year old, not yet opened to the world of scary movies. It comes from the Goosebumps series (of which I own everyone) and it has totally put me off dummys. Not that I ever really wanted one, but still. If I did, it would have.
xx Miss Moi
*I just realised I was writing this that 'bloodcurdling' makes beyond no sense. Seriously, who curdles blood? And doesn't stuff curdle when it goes warm? And isn't your blood meant to go cold when you watch scary movies? Hm?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

2 jumbles of words:

Bec said...

Can't say I'm a scary movie person myself, though I have seen a few of those movies.
The Ring gave me nightmares for weeks. Keeping in mind I was about 11 when it came out.

ЯANdOM ЯAWR said...

heyy

I love horror movies, especially The Village and Mirrors, though I’m not sure if Mirrors is more of a horror or a gore.
And, that word ‘bloodcurdling’ has never made sense to me.

xx.mai