I laugh in inappropriate moments

I am not a serious moments kind of gal. I've tried. I have. But serious moments make me cringe, and cringing just  takes the whole seriousness away, so basically we're back to square one.


Have you ever been having an extremely serious conversation with your parents, and you know how serious it is, and the seriousness is flowing through you, and then... you smile. You know as it crosses your lips you've pretty much just signed your death sentence. But you can't make it stop. And before you know what's happening you have this irresistible urge to laugh. And they are staring at you with a thousand daggers, but it stays there and suddenly... you're laughing. It's horrible, it's horrific, and it's true.

I don't know why. There is probably some underlying message in this that I find joy in pain and I'm a future murderer, but I don't know. What I do know is that I hate, completely and utterly, serious and awkward moments. There are so many ways that I find to get out of them. There is the phone flick, in which you fiddle with your phone pretending there is an extremely important, life threatening message embedded somewhere in the phone, which you have to flick around for hours to find. There is the fingernailing biting and/or dumbly staring at the said fingernails, which makes you look cool and detached, until, of course, they start bleeding. Or looking at a painting on the wall, pretending it is the most amazing thing in the entire universe and you could just stare at it for hours, when really, to tell you the truth, it just looks like a couple of dots and few squiggles to me. Or, and this one involves some props so you know we're getting classier, flicking through notes, or even better a bag, you have like you're searching for something. However, this does take some skill as you don't want it too long that you look weird, or too short that it seems like you weren't actually looking for anything. And then you have to do the whole thing at the end like, well, I guess it isn't there, although I totally thought it was. Which is why I was looking. Cough.

Oh, a couple of things before I depart. Firstly, very exciting news everyone. Gather round, gather round. I might be starting a vlog on the Student Edge website early next year with one of my friends, so I will keep you posted on that, and will make sure you check it out *menacing face*. And secondly, Happy Halloween! Go trick-or-treating! And no crappy excuses that you are too old. It's free candy people. You're never too old.

xx Miss Moi


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

3 jumbles of words:

Miss Shivi said...

God, I am the queen of making myself busy during awkward moments. I used to do a ballet class and I didn't really talk to the other girls and while we all sat in the waiting room before class, there were always awkward silences so I: pretended to text on my phone, took out my hair lacky & pretended to fix up my hair and then tied it back up, put on lip balm, had a drink of water, pretended there was something in my ballet shoe so I had to take it off and put it back on again, listened to my ipod, pretended to read the quotes on the wall(even though I'd seen them a thousand times) & a myriad of other things. Seriously I have perfected it to a fine art.

God I'm antisocial.

Cat said...

I do that! It's a nervous thing, iit's actually a nervous reaction I found out. My parents told me someone had died once and I laughed. Then I cried. But yes, it's normal/natural.
Cat xx

Snake Charmer said...

omg i do the same thing too!! now my sister thinks i'm super insensitive :D i also avoid confrontation like the plague..i just run away in my mind :)